Guitar Lessons | Song Writing Workshops, Theory Lessons, Composition Lessons, Jazz Improvisation Lessons
- Qualifications: B.A (Music major, endorsed in Composition, University of Otago) Postgraduate Diploma in Music (Composition, New Zealand School of Music)
- Pricing: Options from $30 per half hour for individual lessons, with an obligation free trial lesson for $25 (please contact me for details)
- Styles: Jazz, rock, blues, creative music and improvisation...
- Suitability: Beginner through advanced.
Hi there. My name is Alex Wolken, and I am an experienced guitarist with substantial expertise in music theory and an academic background in composition (especially the composition of instrumental music)
I have been playing guitar since I was nine years old and been playing in various bands and ensembles (and solo!) since around the age of 12, and as such also have substantial songwriting experience. I currently perform in the contemporary jazz duo Reid+Wolken alongside singer Karin Reid, and the improvisational jazz/groove crossover trio Exp.J
I studied composition at University of Otago and the New Zealand School of Music, completing both a B.A (Music Major) and a Postgraduate Diploma in Music. This was a primary musical focus for me in my early to mid twenties and continues to inform my creative approach in other areas.
I look forward to working with you,
I offer the following:
– Standard half hour individual lessons (all levels)
Depending on the experience level and specific interests of the student, this could include anything from learning open position chords and rhythm reading fundamentals to learning scales and developing an understanding of tonal harmony to learning to read jazz charts and improvise over jazz standards.
– Half hour group lessons (beginner to intermediate level)
Similar to the individual lessons but more curriculum based. Subject to demand.
– Hour long one on one workshops: suitable for more advanced students who have specific aspects of their playing or understanding of music theory they would like to work one with me.
– Theory Accelerator: small group programmes specifically focused on music theory and it’s practical application to the guitar. Beginner and intermediate levels.
– Jazz Guitar workshops (intermediate to advanced levels)
I am passionate about providing a solid grounding in music theory and musicianship skills for all students, and enabling intermediate to advanced students to better apply their knowledge to their instrument. Please contact me for more information and pricing options.