Piano Lessons | Aural Lessons, Ensemble Coaching, Theory Lessons, Composition Lessons, NCEA Music Tutoring, Online Lessons
- Qualifications: MusB, Provisional Member IRMTNZ
- Pricing: 30 minute, 45 minute and hour lessons (depending on availability)
- Styles: Classical, chord playing from lead sheets. Music Theory, Improvisation.
- Suitability: Beginners, those who getting back into playing and adult students taking up playing for the first time.
Friendly, encouraging, professional individual piano and theory tuition.
- Beginners and adults
- Classical, Pop/Rock , chords. Why not learn both!
- Working with modern and traditional teaching methods, I use a variety of resources to make learning fun and being a musician interesting. Including games, recordings, composing, piece challenges etc.
- Play for enjoyment or study for qualifications. Classical, pop and rock and/or theory.
- In person or online
During the year students have the opportunity to perform locally at events run by my studio including: performance workshops or giving to the community by playing for the elderly. Students can take part in these or come along and listen.
I’m actively involved in the local music community playing and rehearsing . I also invest in my own professional development , am a member of Top Music Pro and a Provisional Member Institute of Registered Music Teachers.
I also have vouchers available if you’re looking to give some lessons as a gift to someone special.
A large focus of my teaching is encouraging and developing skills to read and understand the music they are playing. Giving my students tools and tips to be able to read music, confidence to try new music themselves , to be able to play with others, and to enjoy the learning process.
I prepare for every lesson uniquely and work with students to set goals for their learning.
Where possible, I like to include composition, improvisation (from time to time), piano duets and piano trios (6 hands 1 piano) during the year because these encourage playing with others, listening and creativity.
Having taught practical and online lessons for some time – I am passionate about this way of teaching/learning! There is no need to be local to learn online!
This year I’m running a studio practice incentive for the younger ones and we’re making a giant building block tower!. They also enjoy competing with themselves and each other on theory games (some board games, some online). I also have events specifically for my adult students -who make up a significant portion of my students.
For those wanting to sit playing or theory exams this option is also available.
I have two daughters who are learning the piano and I would highly recommend Karen as her teaching skills are fantastic. Not only is she an outstanding piano player herself, but her gentle nature and teaching approach is something my daughters have really enjoyed these last few years. Her passion shows in her teaching and am always happy when I hear laughter during their lessons.