Piano Lessons | Keyboard Lessons | Aural Lessons, Ensemble Coaching, Theory Lessons, Composition Lessons, NCEA Music Tutoring, Online Lessons
- Qualifications: MusB
- Pricing: 30 minute, 45 minute and hour lessons. Please see my website for pricing and studio policy: karenboycemusic.co.nz
- Styles: Classical, chord playing from lead sheets for piano/keyboard players. Music Theory, Improvisation.
- Suitability: Beginners, those who getting back into playing and adult students taking up playing for the first time.
Friendly, encouraging, professional individual piano and theory tuition.
- Beginners to performance diploma level students.
- Classical, Pop/Rock , chords. Why not learn both!
- Working with modern and traditional teaching methods, I use a variety of resources to make learning fun and being a musician interesting. Including games, recordings, composing, piece challenges etc.
- Play for enjoyment or study for qualifications. Classical, pop and rock and/or theory.
- In person or online
During the year students have the opportunity to perform locally at events run by my studio including: performance workshops or giving to the community by playing for the elderly. Students can take part in these or come along and listen.
I’m actively involved in the local music community playing , rehearsing and coaching. I also invest in my own professional development and am a member of Top Music Pro.
A large focus of my teaching is encouraging and developing skills to read and understand the music they are playing. Giving my students tools and tips to be able to read music, confidence to try new music themselves , to be able to play with others, and to enjoy the learning process.
I prepare for every lesson uniquely and work with students to set goals for their learning. Working with students to prepare for practical or written exams is also something I enjoy.
Where possible, I like to include composition, improvisation (from time to time), piano duets and piano trios (6 hands 1 piano) during the year because these encourage playing with others, listening and creativity.
Having taught practical and online lessons for sometime – I am passionate about this way of teaching/learning! There is need to be local to learn online!
This year I’m running a studio practice incentive for the younger ones. They also enjoy competing with themselves and each other on theory games (some board games, some online). I also have an event in planning for my adult students -who make up a significant portion of my students.
I have two daughters who are learning the piano and I would highly recommend Karen as her teaching skills are fantastic. Not only is she an outstanding piano player herself, but her gentle nature and teaching approach is something my daughters have really enjoyed these last few years. Her passion shows in her teaching and am always happy when I hear laughter during their lessons.