Violin Lessons | Ensemble Coaching, Theory Lessons
- Qualifications: Grade 8 Trinity College
- Pricing: $30.00 per hour, 1/2 hour from $15.00, group lessons from $5.00 per student per hour, Lessons charged after 10 weeks or end of term (whichever comes first) - No upfront payments
- Styles: Classical
- Suitability: Ages 7 and over, beginner to grade 5 level, older/adult students welcome
I have been the violin tutor at local Palmerston North music schools, since 2010, teaching individuals and small groups of students. Prior to this I was a private teacher.
I am also involved in orchestral music in the Manawatu, mainly as section leader for the second violins of the Manawatu Sinfonia for the past 10 years. During the 1980’s I was a member of the Hawkes Bay Regional orchestra. I am currently working towards achieving the ATCL qualification in music performance (2019).
From teaching experience, I have gained a thorough understanding of the learning requirements of new violin students, and developed techniques to encourage their success to achieve high standards of performance early on. As a dad myself, I have a great rapport with children of all ages, and can easily relate to them in an encouraging and motivating manner.
Apart from music, I have a horticultural science degree from Massey University and have been managing director of a horticultural manufacturing company since 1998, as well as a consulting firm run by my wife and I. I have also been involved in several volunteer positions within the local school and community and recently retired after 10 years as a volunteer firefighter at Tokomaru. My interests include music, sailing, fishing and gardening..
Progressive teaching, that achieves results. I have found students learn best by actually playing music at their level, so after the initial lessons of posture and technique we quickly start to play simple and enjoyable tunes to develop an understanding of music reading and basic musicianship. From there we continue to learn pieces of increasing complexity, with the goal at all times being to achieve success at each step towards performing music. I have developed a wide array of effective teaching resources to assist learning and development at all levels. Lessons at a venue and time of your choice, including in home lessons for your convenience, anywhere in Manawatu/Palmerston North.
Some special features:
- First lesson for beginners FREE 1 hour
- All course materials FREE – you don’t need to buy expensive books!
- All students receive free supporting (practice and performance) soundtracks and music videos for their pieces – really helps with group performances!
- Free video tutorials during holidays – especially useful for exam preparations!
- Opportunities throughout the year for group concert performances..
- Opportunities throughout the year for participation in group workshop sessions
- NEW Quality Instruments available for hire, from $50.00 per year..
Thanks for all the hours you put into this Simon. Elsie really enjoyed the performance and said it was one of the best times playing violin of her life – she just wished it went longer!
Thank you for all your effort that you put into the (music festival concert). It's a great opportunity for the kids and I am very thankful for all the time you poured into the kids. They are very fortunate to have you. It was lovely to see it come together and for the kids to get the performance buzz.