Violin Lessons | Ensemble Coaching, Theory Lessons, NCEA Music Tutoring
- Qualifications: Grade 8 Trinity College
- Pricing: *Private/ Individual lessons* $40.00 per hour, (1/2 hour lesson $20.00 for very young students only). Lessons charged after 10 weeks for regular students - NO UPFRONT PAYMENTS! or Extra travel costs!.
- Styles: Classical, Contemporary
- Suitability: Ages 7 and over, beginner upwards
I have been the violin tutor at local Palmerston North music schools, since 2010, teaching individuals and small groups of students. Since focusing on private teaching, I have helped numerous students (ages 6 to 60!) achieve their goals, and develop an excellent violin technique and appreciation of their music.
I am also involved in orchestral music in the Manawatu, mainly as section leader for the second violins of the Manawatu Sinfonia for the past 10 years, and recently Musica Viva. During the 1980’s I was a member of the Hawkes Bay Regional orchestra.
From teaching experience, I have gained a thorough understanding of the learning requirements of new violin students, and developed techniques to encourage their success to achieve high standards of performance early on. As a dad myself, I have a great rapport with children of all ages, and can easily relate to them in an encouraging and motivating manner. Many adult students have appreciated my flexible approach to their learning and the rapid progress they can make towards playing advanced pieces.
Apart from music, I have a horticultural science degree from Massey University and have been managing director of a horticultural manufacturing company since 1998, as well as a consulting firm run by my wife and I. I have also been involved in several volunteer positions within the local school and community. My interests include music, boating, fishing and gardening..
Progressive teaching, that achieves results, while being flexible to the individual student’s goals and abilities. I have found students learn best by actually playing music at their level, so after the initial lessons of posture and technique we quickly start to play simple and enjoyable tunes to develop an understanding of music reading and basic musicianship. From there we continue to learn pieces of increasing complexity, with the goal at all times being to achieve success at each step towards performing music. I have developed a wide array of effective teaching resources to assist learning and development at all levels. Students consistently excel in exams from beginner to advanced grades – 100% success rate in practical, theory and NCEA assessments
Lessons at a venue and time of your choice, including in home lessons for your convenience, anywhere in Manawatu district, or at my dedicated spacious facility in Palmerston North.
Some special features:
- First lesson /Introduction FREE 1 hour
- Access to a vast set of resources, music (a library of over 1000 titles) and supporting technologies, high quality sound and video recording and production equipment, industry standard music composition and production software, providing amazing backup to students progress at all levels.
- All course materials FREE, specific to your learning needs- you don’t need to buy expensive books!
- All students receive free supporting (practice and performance) soundtracks and music videos for their pieces – really helps with group performances!
- Opportunities throughout the year for solo and group concert performances and participation in music festivals.
- Students have free entry to Manawatu Sinfonia and Youth orchestra concerts!
- Opportunities throughout the year for participation in group workshop sessions
- A good supply of NEW, QUALITY Instruments in a good range of sizes available – free loan to regular students!
Thanks for all the hours you put into this Simon. Elsie really enjoyed the performance and said it was one of the best times playing violin of her life – she just wished it went longer!
Thank you for all your effort that you put into the (music festival concert). It's a great opportunity for the kids and I am very thankful for all the time you poured into the kids. They are very fortunate to have you. It was lovely to see it come together and for the kids to get the performance buzz.
Thanks very much Simon for your prompt, thorough and timely tuition, Bethany is very much enjoying it and her playing is maturing every day. What a blessing. I am grateful to you for expanding Bethany's view of music like you have, she has become much more confident and her perspective has matured.