Saxophone Lessons | Clarinet Lessons, Flute Lessons | Aural Lessons, Jazz Improvisation Lessons, NCEA Music Tutoring, Online Lessons
- Qualifications: Diploma Jazz Studies, 25+ yrs of teaching experience
- Pricing: $35/30min (2021 Spaces available!)
- Styles: Jazz, Pop/Rock, Classical, Jazz Improvisation
- Suitability: Beginners to Advanced, Primary age to Mature students
Stephen Nichols has 25+ years experience teaching saxophone, flute & clarinet at local primary, intermediate & high schools, the Christchurch School of Music and other music schools & programs.
Stephen is available for private lessons for students of all ages and skill levels – from complete beginner through to advanced. Preparing for NCEA performances, ABRSM exams and auditions are a specialty. His teaching studio is conveniently placed in Redwood, 10mins away from the center of town.
Stephen performs in a variety of styles from orchestral, jazz big band to latin/jazz combos & pop/rock bands. Performance credits include the ‘New Zealand Youth Jazz Orchestra’, ‘Christchurch Symphony Orchestra’ and performers such as Don Burrows (AUS), Bobby Shew (USA), Dame Malvina Major (NZL) and Sir Howard Morrison (NZL).
2021 slots still available! ZOOM LESSONS AVAILABLE!
I offer weekly, fortnightly & casual individual lessons from my home studio.
Lessons are based around each students individual needs with an emphasis on developing good technique and the enjoyment of playing music.
“Steve has phenomenal musical knowledge and teaching experience and successfully tailors his teaching to the individual needs and learning style of his student. My daughter has learned from Steve for 5 years and we are thrilled with her progress.” – Lucy (Christchurch)
“I am an adult sax student with tutor Steve Nichols. Steve is a very experienced and competent tutor, with a relaxed and supportive approach. Each lesson is the highlight of my week, as Steve leads and encourages me at my level.” – Ken (Rangiora)
Having weekly lessons will help you stay focused on achieving your goals.
- You’ll get to spend time each week with an expert on the instrument you wish to play.
- Your teacher can help you find the best ways to improve your playing and conquer the tough bits of songs you are learning.
- Your teacher can help you establish and maintain good playing habits right from the start.
- Your teacher can help you build a full range of musical skills.
- Learning with a teacher will help you get good as quickly as you are able.
- You’ll find out the best ways to approach any piece of music.
- Your teacher can introduce you to great music and musicians you might not even know about yet.
- You can get instant advice. Your teacher can make you aware of what you need to work on to play better. This means you won’t learn bad playing habits.
- Everyone needs encouragement when learning to play. Your teacher will let you know what you are doing well and why you are sounding good.
- Your teacher can show you sensible short cuts to playing well.
- Your teacher can help you build a solid foundation so that you can become fully independent and reach your potential.