Flute Lessons | Recorder Lessons | Ensemble Coaching, Theory Lessons, NCEA Music Tutoring, Online Lessons
- Qualifications: BMus with First Class Honours, BA, ATCL with Distinction
- Pricing: $30 half hour, $60 full hour
- Styles: Any
- Suitability: Beginners to Advanced
Originally from Gisborne, Anna is keen to maintain involvement in the Gisborne musical community whilst residing in Auckland. These lessons will be a combination of Skype and regular in-person lessons when Anna is in Gisborne.
Anna has recently returned from the Netherlands, where she studied for a Master of Music (Flute Performance and Education) at Fontys Hogeschool voor de Kunsten. Previously, she completed a Bachelor of Music (First Class Honours), and Bachelor of Arts (Politics and International Relations) at the University of Auckland.
During her time in the Netherlands, Anna played for the Dutch National Opera – Opera Forward Festival, and spent a month touring Europe with the Netherlands Students Orchestra. Her thesis topic was titled: ‘Improving the quality and consistency of musicianship skill teaching in beginner flute lessons: a uniquely New Zealand approach.’
Anna has performed professionally with the Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra and Auckland Chamber Orchestra. In 2017, she held a Fellowship with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra and Internship with the Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra. She has twice been a member of the National Youth Orchestra and was principal flute of the Auckland Youth Orchestra 2016-17.
Anna is a past winner of the University of Auckland Graduation Gala Concerto Competition, AYO Concerto Competition and Woodwind Prize at the Gisborne International Music Competition. She has performed as a soloist with the University of Auckland Symphony Orchestra, Auckland Youth Orchestra and New Zealand Youth Symphonic Winds.
During her time at the University of Auckland, Anna studied abroad in Italy for 6 months, where due to language barrier she joined what she thought was a wind band, but was actually a marching band! Anna’s love of concert bands resulted in her establishing the University of Auckland Concert Band, now the largest community concert band in New Zealand.
I strongly believe that learning a musical instrument enhances people’s lives and helps to develop skills which are invaluable to all students – no matter what kind of future they pursue!
I have more than a decade of experience teaching flute, recorder, aural/theory, flute ensembles, concert bands and coaching chamber groups. This is supported by my strong research interest in flute pedagogy and methodology at a postgraduate level.
As a teacher I aim to:
- Develop well-rounded, confident and musical students who flourish
- Develop skills essential as both a flautist and musician: instrumental technique, physical skills (breathing, body alignment), musicality, performance skills and musicianship skills (aural, theory, composition, improvisation etc.)
- Plan engaging lessons with an enjoyable and vibrant atmosphere
- Teach in a style that is supportive, encouraging and friendly
- Nurture a passion for music
- Use acute problem-solving skills to ensure students playing issues are quickly pinpointed and solved
- Provide performance opportunities and prepare students for exams if desired