Piano Lessons | Accordion Lessons, Electronic Dance Music Production Lessons | Theory Lessons, Composition Lessons, Jazz Improvisation Lessons, Online Lessons
- Qualifications: Bachelor of Musical Arts (ARA), Honours in Psychology (University of Canterbury), Grade 8 piano (Royal School)
- Pricing: $35/half hour, $70/hour
- Styles: All styles! Whatever tune you request, including jazz, classical, latin, pop, blues, RnB, folk
- Suitability: All ages and levels (experienced from primary to tertiary to adult)
Why pick me in one sentence:
My passion for lighting fires in others, my experienced music+psychology informed approach, and my focus that you get to learn whatever your heart desires.
• fun is essential to learning, at any level
• learn music that the student chooses
• push my students at just the right amount, but always keeping it enjoyable
• empathy. I use my natural empathy plus my background in psychology (motivation, learning, habits) to uniquely aid each student
• holistic development – different styles, ear or reading, improvisation, play time with other instruments
I have taught music for 10 years and played for 20.
My fancy qualifications include a degree in jazz piano (ARA), and postgrad in Psychology (UC)
I was performing in Italy at the age of 17.
Want to find out if I’m the right teacher for you?
Call 022 68 77 515 to arrange a time or send me a message
Teaching from Addington
Learn more about me at my website
In the first lesson we chat about what your musical goals are – that determines the focus of following lessons.
- I encourage you to choose your own songs to learn, or pick ones suitable for you that inspire you.
- For beginners we delay learning songs by sight reading as it is a tough learning curve. Instead we focus on memorisation. i.e. straight to the fun!
- Sight reading and other important theory concepts are gradually incorporated.
- Early focus on improvisation. I pride myself on making this natural for even the most self conscious.
- At the end of lessons there is fun time to explore other instruments (drums, keyboard sounds)
- we assess your existing goals, learning style, abilities, and develop a plan.
- when you run into problems (technical, practice, motivation, life) I help solve them.
- things you can learn from me:
- How to practice (including psychology of motivation, habits)
- Playing by ear / sight reading
- Technique and theory
- Musicianship and attitude
- Having great groove and timing
More specific areas include:
- Learn Tom’s intuitive, stress free improvisation.
- Plus the simple underlying rules that make melodies/improvisation work
- Learn tunes by your favourite artists
- Accompany a singer (or back yourself)
- Learn more beautiful chords to spice up your sound
- Learn to play piano rhythmically
- Learn how to make awesome sounds with synths, apps, etc.
- Learn how to set up a home studio/use DAW recording software like Reaper.
- Learning to improvise
- Playing in a band
- Jazz harmony and chords
- Learning tunes by the masters
- Interpreting a tune (emotions, dynamics, phrasing)
- Advanced technique
PLAYING IN A BAND
- Learn about the different roles in the band (rhythmic, melodic, harmonic) and how you can make the most of them
- Learn to play basslines
- Learn how to make your band groove better
- Learn tips on how to rehearse
- Learn methods/processes to get the ideas flowing
- Get help to grow your songs with enthusiastic and experienced feedback
- Get recorded to high quality in lessons or learn how to record yourself
- Learn about writing for many instruments (and DIY on a synth, computer or smartphone)
- learn synth programming and sound design
- learn midi (including interesting unusual controllers, MPE)
- learn sound FX, plugins
- learn basic mixing principles
- learn useful harmony to develop your songs